Qatar is a sovereign Arab emirate, located in the Persian Gulf, inhabiting a small peninsula on the northeasterly coast of the much larger Arabian Peninsula. Its sole land border is with Saudi Arabia to the south, with the rest of its territory surrounded by the Persian Gulf. A strait in the Persian Gulf separates Qatar from the nearby island state of Bahrain.
Qatar has the world's third largest natural gas reserves and oil reserves in excess of 25 billion barrels which has fuelled Qatar to become world's richest country per capita and achieve the highest human development in the Arab World and 36th highest globally; furthermore, it is recognized as a high-income economy by the World Bank and also the 19th most peaceful country in the world. You can learn more about Qatar by visiting Qatar Tourism Authority website.
Doha is the heart and capital of Qatar, it is Qatar's largest city and the economic centre of the country. This beautiful city is filled with plenty to do, whether it’s shopping, relaxing, dining or whatever other activities come to mind. With its beautiful corniche which stretches out for several kilometres, you can take walks by the sea and enjoy the sights of Doha's developing skyline.
Time Zone is GMT + 3 hours
Qatar has hot summers stretching from May through October. These summers are dry and breezy. Doha has a fairly comfortable winter with occasional rain. Lightweight summer clothing is ideal with a wrap, sweater or jacket for air conditioned premises. 3 hours
While Arabic is the official language, English is widely spoken, especially for business purposes.
The official currency of Qatar is the Qatar Rial. The exchange rate is approximately USD 1 = QR 3.65 (March 2015).
Ministry of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and Qatar
In the past twenty years, Qatar has progressed rapidly to become a global example of social and economic development predicated on a knowledge-based economy. From mega infrastructure projects to social development indices, today Qatar boasts incredible opportunities for businesses looking to take advantage of a fast growing and demanding landscape. In particular:
- Qatar was the world’s fastest growing economy during 2008-12
- Real GDP growth is forecasted at 6.5% in 2013 and 6.8% in 2014
- Qatar plans to invest over USD140 billion over the next ﬁve years in transport infrastructure to transform Qatar
- ICT contribution towards the national GDP increased 33% between 2008 and 2012
- Ranked 23rd globally in the World Economic Forum’s Network Readiness Index
- Highest ranking Arab nation in the International Telecommunications Union’s 2012 ICT Development Index
- Ranked 9th globally on the E-participation index and 27th globally on the Online Service Index within the United Nations’ 2012 E-Government Survey
- Overall internet penetration increased from 38% to 69.3% between 2008 and 2012.
- 97% of youth aged 15-24 have access to computers, 98% have internet access, and 100% enjoy mobile access
See more about the life in Qatar.
IEEE WCNC 2015 - New Orleans, USA >>
IEEE WCNC 2014 – Istanbul, Turkey >>
IEEE WCNC 2013 - Shanghai, China >>
IEEE WCNC 2012 - Paris, France >>
IEEE WCNC 2011 - Cancun, Mexico >>
IEEE WCNC 2010 - Sydney, Australia >>
IEEE WCNC 2009 - Budapest, Hungary >>
IEEE WCNC 2008 - Las Vegas, USA >>
IEEE WCNC 2007 - Hong Kong >>
IEEE WCNC 2006 - Las Vegas, USA >>
IEEE WCNC 2005 - New Orleans, USA >>
IEEE WCNC 2004 - Atlanta Georgia, USA >>
IEEE WCNC 2003 - New Orleans, USA >>
For any inquiries, please contact WCNC2016